Saturday, 1 December 2012

MAKING SUGGESTION AND REQUESTING SOMETHING

Here's the topic i presentated with Mihin and Citra.

Making Suggestion is how you express your suggestion to someone.

There are a number of ways used when making suggestions:    
    

1) WHAT ABOUT/HOW ABOUT ... + Base form + -ING
  •  What about going to the swimming pool tomorrow?
  •  How about going to the swimming pool tomorrow?
2) WHY + Negative
  • Why don't we go to the swimming pool tomorrow?
3) IMPERATIVE: Let's + Base form
  • Let's go to the swimming pool tomorrow! 
4) COULD
  • We could go to the swimming pool tomorrow.
5) DO YOU WANT + the infinitive
  • Do you want to go to the swimming pool tomorrow?

Making a Suggestion
Responding
•          I suggest that …
•          I would suggest that …
•          My suggestion is …
•          What about …
•          Perhaps we should …
•          We’d better/ we must …
•          A possible solution  to your problem is …
•          That’s a good idea
•          It’s a good suggestion
•          You are right.
•          Yes, let’s do it
•          I think so
•          Yes, you’re right.
•          That’s what is in my mind
Requesting Something is what we say when we want to ask someone to do something
for us.
Ask Someone To Do Something For You

  • Requesting
•          Would you mind …, please?
•          Can/Could you …?
•          Will/Would you …?
•          Please …

  • Accepting Requests
•          Sure, I’d be glad/happy to …
•          Of course/Certainly.
•          No problem.
•          Sure. Just a moment.

  •   Refusing Requests
•          I’d loved to, but …
•          It sounds great, but …
•          I’m/sorry, but …
•          Sorry to say that …
  •  Example making polite request :
•          Could you open the window for me, please?
•          Would you mind closing the door for us, please?"
•          Can you close the door for me, please?
•          Could you possibly show me the way to the post office, please?
•          Would you help me with this exercise, please?
  • The responses for that polite request can be
•          Sure.
•          Certainly.
•          Why not
•          With a pleasure.
•          I'd be glad to.
•          I am afraid I can't.
•          I am sorry I can't.

The pattern :  could and can are followed by the verb without to. 
                     Would you mind is followed by the verb and -ing.
Asking If You Can Do Something

•          Asking polite permission to do something

•          "Can I use your phone, please?"

•          "Could I borrow some money from you, please?"

•          "Do you mind if I turn on television?"

•          "Would you mind if I turned off the lamp?"
•          The responses can be
•          No. I don't mind
•          Not at all
•          No, of course not
•          No, that would be fine
•          I am afraid, yes
•          Yes, I do mind
•          The pattern
•          Could is more polite than can.
•          Do you mind if…" is followed by the verb in the present tense.
•          would you mind if… is followed by the verb in the past tense.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment