Saturday 1 December 2012

COMPLANING AND GIVING INSTRUCTION

Complaining 
  • To express feelings of pain, dissatisfaction, or resentment.
  • To make a formal accusation or bring a formal charge.
    A complaint is…
    Complaints are expressions of "displeasure or annoyance" in response to an action that is seen by the speaker as unfavorable.

    Making a complaint:
  • I do wish you could….
  • Excuse me, I’m afraid… 
  • I wish you wouldn’t mind
  • Would you mind (doing)….?
  • Well, it is good for you to….
  • (Honestly!) I’m fed up with
  • I wonder if you could help me…..
  • I’m sorry to have to say this, but….
  • Look, I’m sorry to trouble you, but…. 
  • (Well,) this is the most unsatisfactory.
  • Wouldn’t it be a good idea to/ not to….
  • I’ve got a bit of a problem here, you see…… 
  • Excuse me, there appears to be something wrong…
  • Excuse me, there seems to be something wrong with… 
Responding a complaint:
Positive response to complaints:
  • Oh, I’m sorry about that. 
  • I can’t tell you how sorry I am.
  • I wish it never happened. 
  • Oh dear, I’m really sorry. 
  • I’m so sorry, I didn’t realize.
  • I just don’t know what to say.
  • I'm so sorry, but this will never occur / happen again.
  • I'm sorry, we promise never to do the same mistake again.
  • I'm really sorry; we'll do our utmost/best not to do the same mistake again.
 Negative response to complaints:
  • Sorry there is nothing we can do about it.
  • I'm afraid, there isn't much we can do about it.
  • We are sorry but the food is just alright.
Delaying a complaint:
  • I suggest you leave it with us and we’ll see what can be done.
  • I suggest you leave it with us and we’ll see what we can do.
  • I’m afraid the manager/boss isn’t in at the moment. Could you call later?
  • I’m afraid we can’t help you at the moment. Could you leave your contact phone number and address? We will contact you soon. 
Rejecting a complaint:
  • Well, I’m afraid there is nothing we can do about it actually. 
  • Well, I’m afraid there isn’t much we can do about it.  


    Giving instruction is an expression for give or ask somebody to do something that we want.
    •         The tense used in giving instruction is simple present.
    •         Giving instruction is releveance with procedure text
        Giving instruction are:
    1. Command
          Verb (+ O).
     e.g:Watch out, come here, etc.
          Please + V (+ O).
                          e.g:Please clean your room.
          V (+ O) + Please.
                           e.g:Wash this towel, please.
    2. Prohibition
          Don’t + V (+ O).
    e.g:Don’t close it!
          Don’t + V (+ O) + Please.
    e.g:Don’t be noise,please.
          Would you mind not + V-ing (+ O).
    e.g:Would you mind not reading my book.

        Kinds of giving instruction:
    1.      . Verb 1, e.g:
    •         Wash your hand.
    •         Sit down.
         2. Be + adjective, e.g:
    •         Be your self.
    •         Be a good student.
    •         Be happy.    
         3. Infinitive without to
    •         Close the door!
    •         Open the window!
    •         Turn off the computer!
    •         Move the chair!
         4. Don’t + V-infinitive, e.g:
    •          Don’t armb!
    •          Don’t disturb!
    •          Don’t touch!
    •          Don’t kill him.
    •          Don’t cry.
         5. No + V-ing, e.g:
    •          No smooking!
    •          No swimming!
    •          No parking!
    •          No catching !
    •          No diving !
    Asking for Instructions:
    •          How do you (do this)?
    •         What is the best way to . . . ?
    •          How do I go about it?
    •         What do you suggest?
    •         How do you suggest I proceed?
    •         What is the first step?
    Giving Instructions Sequencing:
    •         First, (you) . . .
    •         Then, (you) . . .
    •         Next, (you) . . .
    •         Lastly, (you) . . .
    Starting out:
    •         Before you begin, (you should . . .)
    •         The first thing you do is . . . .
    •          I would start by . . .
    •          The best place to begin is . . .
    •          To begin with,
    Continuing:
    •         After that,
    •         The next step is to . . .
    •         The next thing you do is . . .
    •         Once you've done that, then . . .
    •         When you finish that, then . . .
    Finishing:
    •         The last step is . . .
    •         The last thing you do is . . .
    •          In the end,
    •          When you've finished,
    •          When you've completed all the steps

1 comment: