Saturday 1 December 2012

MAKING SUGGESTION AND REQUESTING SOMETHING

Here's the topic i presentated with Mihin and Citra.

Making Suggestion is how you express your suggestion to someone.

There are a number of ways used when making suggestions:    
    

1) WHAT ABOUT/HOW ABOUT ... + Base form + -ING
  •  What about going to the swimming pool tomorrow?
  •  How about going to the swimming pool tomorrow?
2) WHY + Negative
  • Why don't we go to the swimming pool tomorrow?
3) IMPERATIVE: Let's + Base form
  • Let's go to the swimming pool tomorrow! 
4) COULD
  • We could go to the swimming pool tomorrow.
5) DO YOU WANT + the infinitive
  • Do you want to go to the swimming pool tomorrow?

Making a Suggestion
Responding
•          I suggest that …
•          I would suggest that …
•          My suggestion is …
•          What about …
•          Perhaps we should …
•          We’d better/ we must …
•          A possible solution  to your problem is …
•          That’s a good idea
•          It’s a good suggestion
•          You are right.
•          Yes, let’s do it
•          I think so
•          Yes, you’re right.
•          That’s what is in my mind
Requesting Something is what we say when we want to ask someone to do something
for us.
Ask Someone To Do Something For You

  • Requesting
•          Would you mind …, please?
•          Can/Could you …?
•          Will/Would you …?
•          Please …

  • Accepting Requests
•          Sure, I’d be glad/happy to …
•          Of course/Certainly.
•          No problem.
•          Sure. Just a moment.

  •   Refusing Requests
•          I’d loved to, but …
•          It sounds great, but …
•          I’m/sorry, but …
•          Sorry to say that …
  •  Example making polite request :
•          Could you open the window for me, please?
•          Would you mind closing the door for us, please?"
•          Can you close the door for me, please?
•          Could you possibly show me the way to the post office, please?
•          Would you help me with this exercise, please?
  • The responses for that polite request can be
•          Sure.
•          Certainly.
•          Why not
•          With a pleasure.
•          I'd be glad to.
•          I am afraid I can't.
•          I am sorry I can't.

The pattern :  could and can are followed by the verb without to. 
                     Would you mind is followed by the verb and -ing.
Asking If You Can Do Something

          Asking polite permission to do something

          "Can I use your phone, please?"

          "Could I borrow some money from you, please?"

          "Do you mind if I turn on television?"

          "Would you mind if I turned off the lamp?"
          The responses can be
          No. I don't mind
          Not at all
          No, of course not
          No, that would be fine
          I am afraid, yes
          Yes, I do mind
          The pattern
          Could is more polite than can.
          Do you mind if…" is followed by the verb in the present tense.
          would you mind if… is followed by the verb in the past tense.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment